Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Parsha "Mattot"

I have just finished the Parsha for this week. It will be sent out on Thursday. If I could summarize this Parsha in three words, it would be "Keep Your Word." It concerns the giving and completing your Vows.

Two weeks ago, my son got married. According to the pictures, it must have been a beautiful wedding. His wife, Kristi, is very good for him. I never thought it would happen but He found a woman that helped him to become a better person. We love her for that change in him. He will keep the vows He gave to her.

5 years ago, I made the vow of Jacob as recorded in Genesis 28:20-22. It reads, "
Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."

I have made only three vows/oaths in my life: When I joined the army, when I married my wife, and this vow of the tithe. In all three times, these vows have been tested. God has truly honored His side of the vow. I dare not break my side.

This Parsha can be sent to anyone who wants it. Enjoy your day.

No comments: